Head of Educational Technologies at DIPF
Scientific Director of studiumdigitale at Goethe-University
Rostocker Straße 6, 60323 Frankfurt am Main
drachsler [at] dipf.de
Office hours for students – LINK
Hendrik Drachsler is Professor of Educational Technologies and Learning Analytics and affiliated with the German Leibniz Institute for International Educational Research (dipf.de), the Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main, and the Open University of the Netherlands. He is the Scientific Director of studiumdigitale, the central research and innovation unit for technology-enhanced learning, at the Goethe-University with over 40.000 students. His research interests include Learning Analytics, Personalisation technologies, Recommender Systems, Educational data, mobile devices, and their applications in the fields of Technology-Enhanced Learning and Health 2.0. Hendrik is an elected board member of the board of the European Association of Technology-Enhanced Learning (EATEL). From 2015 - 2020 he was elected board member of the Society of Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR). In the past, he worked as a principal investigator and scientific coordinator of various national and EU projects (e.g., patient-project.eu, LinkedUp-project.eu, laceproject.eu, safepat.eu, sheilaproject.eu), and was responsible for a consortium budget of over 15 million euros research grants and 3.2 million euros for his research group. Hendrik has regularly chaired international scientific conferences (e.g. LAK16, EC-TEL17, EC-TEL18, LAK20). He is Associate Editor of IEEE's Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT), and is Special Issue Editor of the Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (JCAL). He authored various highly cited articles on Technology-Enhanced Learning.
- Learning Analytics
- Personalization Technologies
- Recommender Systems
- Educational Data
- Mobile devices and their applications in the fields of Technology-Enhanced Learning and Health 2.0.
- Since 2017 Professor for Educational Technologies at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main and DIPF
- 2016 – 2017 Professor of Technology-Enhanced Learning, University of Applied Sciences Zuyd (NL)
- 2014 – 2017 Associate Professor, Welten Institute, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2012 – 2014 Assistant Professor, CELSTEC, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2009 – 2012 Researcher on Technology-Enhanced Learning, CELSTEC, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2006 – 2009 Researcher (PhD), OTEC, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2006 – 2009 PhD on Technology-Enhanced Learning, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2004 – 2006 Consultant / Programmer, IT Consulting GmbH, Cologne
- 2004 – 2006 Research Assistant, Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT, Sankt Augustin
- 2003 – 2006 Diploma in Education and Computer Science, University Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg
- 2003 – 2004 Java Programmer, LOCALITE GmbH, Sankt Augustin
- 2001 – 2006 Web Developer, Freelancer, Cologne
- 2001 – 2003 Computer Engineer, B.I.B. International College, Bergisch Gladbach
- Greller, Wolfgang; Drachsler, Hendrik: Translating learning into numbers. In: Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 15 (2012) 3 , 42-57
- Drachsler, Hendrik; Greller, Wolfgang: Privacy and analytics – It's a DELICATE issue. A Checklist for Trusted Learning Analytics. Best Paper award. In: Association for Computing Machinery (Hrsg.): Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Learning Analytics & Knowledge (LAK '16), Edinburgh. United Kingdom – April 25 - 29, 2016 New York, NY : Association for Computing Machinery (2016) , 89-98
- Drachsler, Hendrik; Verbert, Katrien; Santos, Olga C.; Manouselis, Nikos: Panorama of recommender systems to support learning. In: Ricci, Francesco; Rokach, Lior; Shapira, Bracha (Hrsg.): Recommender systems handbook New York, NY : Springer (2015) , 421-451.
- Jivet, I., Scheffel, M., Drachsler, H., and Specht, M. (2017). Awareness is not enough. Pitfalls of learning analytics dashboards in the educational practise. 12th European Conference on Technology-Enhanced Learning. Tallinn, Estonia, 12-15 September 2017.
- Scheffel, Maren; Drachsler, Hendrik; Kraker, Joop de; Kreijns, Karel; Slootmaker, Aad; Specht, Marcus: Widget, widget on the wall, am I performing well at all? In: IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 10 (2017) 1 , 42-52
- Di Mitri, Daniele; Scheffel, Maren; Drachsler, Hendrik; Börner, Dirk; Ternier, Stefaan; Specht, Marcus: Learning pulse – A machine learning approach for predicting performance in self-regulated learning using multimodal data. In: Wise, Alyssa; Winne, Phillip H.; Lynch, Grace; Ochoa, Xavier; Molenaar, Inge; Dawson, Shane; Hatala, Marek (Hrsg.): Proceedings of the Seventh International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference (LAK '17), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - March 13 - 17, 2017 New York, NY : Association for Computing Machinery (2017) , 188-197
- Fazeli, S., Drachsler, H., Bitter-Rijpkema, M., Brouns, F., van der Vegt, W., Sloep, P. B., (2017). User-centric Evaluation of Recommender Systems in Social Learning Platforms: Accuracy is Just the Tip of the Iceberg. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON LEARNING TECHNOLOGIES.
- Elected Member of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR)
- Elected Member of the European Association of Technology-Enhanced Learning
- General chair of the European Conference of Technology-Enhanced Learning 2018, Leeds, UK
- Programme chair of the European Conference for Technology Enhanced Learning (ECTEL 2017), Tallinn, Estonia
- Programme chair of the Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK 2016), Edinburgh, UK.
- Treasurer of the European Association of Technology- Enhanced Learning (EATEL)
- Special Issue Editor of the high impact Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (JCAL)
- Associate Editor of the IEEE high impact journal Transaction of Learning Technologies (TLT)