Doctoral Researcher in the Educational Technologies at DIPF
Information Center for Education
Rostocker Straße 6, 60323 Frankfurt am Main
+49 69 24708 172
g.ciordas-hertel [at] dipf.de
George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel is currently working in the Educational Technologies Group at DIPF | Leibniz Institute for Research and Information in Education in Frankfurt am Main (Germany). After studying computer science at the Technical University of Darmstadt, he started his career as a professional software engineer and worked on a wide variety of projects for seven years, focusing on software architecture and AI assistance. In his research, he develops scalable software infrastructures and uses AI methods to evaluate the impact of diverse environmental factors on learning processes and the learners. His current research is focused on mobile sensing of learners' physical and digital learning contexts with smart wearables for learning analytics. Here, his emphasis is on evaluating the impact of self-initiated distractions with and external distractions from smartphones on learning behavior in online learning platforms. In addition, he addresses privacy requirements in the use of multimodal learning sources.
- Context-enriched Learning Analytics
- Self-initiated and External Distractions
- Mobile Sensing with Smart Wearables
- AI Processing of Multimodal Data Streams
- Data Protection and Privacy of Multimodal Data
- Big Data Software Infrastructure
- Critical Online Reasoning in Higher Education (CORE)
- Digital Formative Assessment (DIFA)
- MILKY-PSY - Multimodales Immersives Lernen mit künstlicher Intelligenz für Psychomotorische Fähigkeiten
- Edutex - Context-aware Learning Analytics with Smart Wearables
- Contextualized Multitasking Learning Behavior (CMLB)
- Trusted Learning Analytics Infrastructure (TIILA)
- 2022, Invited co-organizer of the workshop "Trace-Daten aus Learning Analytics-Perspektive" at ZIB Academie 2022 - Educational Assessment Meets Learning Analytics, Sept. 22 to 21, 2022, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Since 2018, Department representative in library commission, Informationszentrum Bildung, DIPF
- Since 2017, Doctoral researcher, Educational Technologies, DIPF
- 2010 - 2017, Software engineer, Flexoptix GmbH
- 2008 - 2010, Master of Computer Science, TU-Darmstadt
- 2004 - 2008, Bachelor of Computer Science, TU-Darmstadt
- Daniel Biedermann, George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Marc Winter, Julia Mordel, and Hendrik Drachsler. 2023. Contextualized Logging of On-Task and Off-Task Behaviours During Learning. Journal of Learning Analytics, 10 (2), 115-125. https://doi.org/10.18608/jla.2023.7837
- Daniel Biedermann, Jan Schneider, George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Beate Eichmann, Carolin Hahnel, Frank Goldhammer, and Hendrik Drachsler. 2023. Detecting the Disengaged Reader - Using Scrolling Data to Predict Disengagement during Reading. In LAK23: 13th International Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK2023). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 585–591. https://doi.org/10.1145/3576050.3576078
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Daniel Biedermann, Marc Winter, Julia Mordel, Hendrik Drachsler. 2022. How can Interaction Data be Contextualized with Mobile Sensing to Enhance Learning Engagement Assessment in Distance Learning?. In Companion Publication of the 2022 International Conference on Multimodal Interaction. November 2022, Pages 105–112. https://doi.org/10.1145/3536220.3558037.
- Carolin Hahnel, Daniel Bengs, Daniel Biedermann, George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Beate Eichmann, and Frank Goldhammer. 2022. Gekonnt, aber nicht gewollt? Zum Umgang von Studierenden mit multiplen Texten in einem asynchronen Online-Kurs. In 9. Tagung der Gesellschaft für empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF), 2022.
- Daniel Biedermann and George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel. 2022. Off-Task Indikatoren in digitalen Lernumgebungen" in 9. Tagung der Gesellschaft für empirische Bildungsforschung (GEBF), 2022.
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Sebastian Rödling, Jan Schneider, Daniele Di Mitri, Joshua Weidlich, and Hendrik Drachsler. 2021. Mobile Sensing with Smart Wearables of the Physical Context of Distance Learning Students to Consider Its Effects on Learning. Sensors 21, 19 (oct 2021), 6649. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21196649
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel. 2020. How to Complement Learning Analytics with Smartwatches?. Proceedings of the 2020 InternationalConference on Multimodal Interaction. ACM: New York, NY, USA, 2020; pp. 708–712. https://doi.org/10.1145/3382507.3421151
- Best paper award in the area of Infrastructure and Technologies for Engineering Education at the 2020 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON)
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Jan Schneider, Hendrik Drachsler. 2020. Which Strategies are Used in the Design of Technical LA Infrastructure?: A Qualitative Interview Study. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON); IEEE: Porto, 2020; pp. 96–105. https://doi.org/10.1109/EDUCON45650.2020.9125363
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel. 2019. Big Data in TEL. In the Fifteenth EATEL Summer School on Technology Enhanced Learning (JTELSS) 2019.
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Jan Schneider, Stefaan Ternier, and Hendrik Drachsler. 2019. Adopting trust in learning analytics infrastructure: A structured literature review. In Journal of Universal Computer Science 2019, 25, 1668–1686. https://doi.org/10.3217/jucs-025-13-1668
- Daniel Biedermann, George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, and Jan Schneider. 2018. Design your Own Learning Analytics. In JTEL Summer School 2018.
- George-Petru Ciordas-Hertel, Jan Schneider, and Hendrik Drachsler. 2018. Integrating Privacy into an Architecture for Learning Analytics. In 8th International Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference 2018 (LAK).