Head of Educational Technologies at DIPF
Information Center for Education
Rostocker Straße 6, 60323 Frankfurt am Main
drachsler [at] dipf.de
Office hours for students – LINK
Hendrik Drachsler is Professor of Educational Technologies and Learning Analytics and affiliated with the German Leibniz Institute for International Educational Research (dipf.de), the Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main, and the Open University of the Netherlands. His research interests include Learning Analytics, Personalisation technologies, Recommender Systems, Educational data, mobile devices, and their applications in the fields of Technology-Enhanced Learning and Health 2.0. Hendrik is an elected board member of the Society of Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR) as well as a member of the board of the European Association of Technology-Enhanced Learning (EATEL). In the past, he worked as a principal investigator and scientific coordinator of various national and EU projects (e.g., patient-project.eu, LinkedUp-project.eu, laceproject.eu, safepat.eu, sheilaproject.eu), and was responsible for a consortium budget of over 15 million euros research grants and 3.2 million euros for his research group. Hendrik has regularly chaired international scientific conferences (e.g. LAK16, EC-TEL17, EC-TEL18, LAK20). He is Associate Editor of IEEE's Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT), and is Special Issue Editor of the Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (JCAL). He authored various highly cited articles on Technology-Enhanced Learning.
- Learning Analytics
- Personalization Technologies
- Recommender Systems
- Educational Data
- Mobile devices and their applications in the fields of Technology-Enhanced Learning and Health 2.0.
- Since 2017 Professor for Educational Technologies at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main and DIPF
- 2016 – 2017 Professor of Technology-Enhanced Learning, University of Applied Sciences Zuyd (NL)
- 2014 – 2017 Associate Professor, Welten Institute, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2012 – 2014 Assistant Professor, CELSTEC, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2009 – 2012 Researcher on Technology-Enhanced Learning, CELSTEC, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2006 – 2009 Researcher (PhD), OTEC, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2006 – 2009 PhD on Technology-Enhanced Learning, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen (NL)
- 2004 – 2006 Consultant / Programmer, IT Consulting GmbH, Cologne
- 2004 – 2006 Research Assistant, Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT, Sankt Augustin
- 2003 – 2006 Diploma in Education and Computer Science, University Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg
- 2003 – 2004 Java Programmer, LOCALITE GmbH, Sankt Augustin
- 2001 – 2006 Web Developer, Freelancer, Cologne
- 2001 – 2003 Computer Engineer, B.I.B. International College, Bergisch Gladbach
- Greller, Wolfgang; Drachsler, Hendrik: Translating learning into numbers. In: Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 15 (2012) 3 , 42-57
- Drachsler, Hendrik; Greller, Wolfgang: Privacy and analytics – It's a DELICATE issue. A Checklist for Trusted Learning Analytics. Best Paper award. In: Association for Computing Machinery (Hrsg.): Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Learning Analytics & Knowledge (LAK '16), Edinburgh. United Kingdom – April 25 - 29, 2016 New York, NY : Association for Computing Machinery (2016) , 89-98
- Drachsler, Hendrik; Verbert, Katrien; Santos, Olga C.; Manouselis, Nikos: Panorama of recommender systems to support learning. In: Ricci, Francesco; Rokach, Lior; Shapira, Bracha (Hrsg.): Recommender systems handbook New York, NY : Springer (2015) , 421-451.
- Jivet, I., Scheffel, M., Drachsler, H., and Specht, M. (2017). Awareness is not enough. Pitfalls of learning analytics dashboards in the educational practise. 12th European Conference on Technology-Enhanced Learning. Tallinn, Estonia, 12-15 September 2017.
- Scheffel, Maren; Drachsler, Hendrik; Kraker, Joop de; Kreijns, Karel; Slootmaker, Aad; Specht, Marcus: Widget, widget on the wall, am I performing well at all? In: IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 10 (2017) 1 , 42-52
- Di Mitri, Daniele; Scheffel, Maren; Drachsler, Hendrik; Börner, Dirk; Ternier, Stefaan; Specht, Marcus: Learning pulse – A machine learning approach for predicting performance in self-regulated learning using multimodal data. In: Wise, Alyssa; Winne, Phillip H.; Lynch, Grace; Ochoa, Xavier; Molenaar, Inge; Dawson, Shane; Hatala, Marek (Hrsg.): Proceedings of the Seventh International Learning Analytics & Knowledge Conference (LAK '17), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - March 13 - 17, 2017 New York, NY : Association for Computing Machinery (2017) , 188-197
- Fazeli, S., Drachsler, H., Bitter-Rijpkema, M., Brouns, F., van der Vegt, W., Sloep, P. B., (2017). User-centric Evaluation of Recommender Systems in Social Learning Platforms: Accuracy is Just the Tip of the Iceberg. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON LEARNING TECHNOLOGIES.
- Elected Member of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR)
- Elected Member of the European Association of Technology-Enhanced Learning
- General chair of the European Conference of Technology-Enhanced Learning 2018, Leeds, UK
- Programme chair of the European Conference for Technology Enhanced Learning (ECTEL 2017), Tallinn, Estonia
- Programme chair of the Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference (LAK 2016), Edinburgh, UK.
- Treasurer of the European Association of Technology- Enhanced Learning (EATEL)
- Special Issue Editor of the high impact Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (JCAL)
- Associate Editor of the IEEE high impact journal Transaction of Learning Technologies (TLT)